January 5, 2015 was a day that Jasmine Thompson will never forget. It was the day that her 2-year-old daughter Elayjah pulled a pan off the stove and spilled hot grease on herself, resulting in third-degree burns on 14 percent of her body.
“Getting the phone call about the accident was the worst moment of my life. I felt so bad hearing it from someone else, too. I knew I had to go be with my child, which meant a lot was going to change in my life,” said Jasmine.
She left her job and home in Lumberton, N.C. so she could be by Elayjah’s side while she receives intense treatment at the North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center in Chapel Hill, one of the few facilities in the country that is American Burn Association verified for both adult and pediatric care.
Jasmine was sleeping in the hospital with her 5-year-old daughter Aneliea when a social worker recommended them to the Ronald McDonald House of Chapel Hill.
“I wasn’t getting any sleep or taking care of myself, but the Ronald McDonald House has been great for my family. I can feel like I’m at home sometimes now and my 5-year-old loves it. She can still go to school and play, and the staff and other families are here to support us. Without this House I would have broke down,” said Jasmine.
Treating pediatric burns is a long and arduous process. The Thompson family has been staying at the House for three months, but Elayjah’s prognosis continues to improve.
“My child is such a fighter, she won’t give up. She’s the one who gets me to fight, too,” said Jasmine.